BRÚARLAND II (Bridge Land II), Þistilfjörður (Thistle Fjord district)
Current occupants: Ólína Ingibjörg Jóhannesdóttir and Benedikt Líndal Jóhannsson
The farmers at Brúarland participate in the following national initiative:
Quality managed sheep farming (Gæðastýrð sauðfjárræktun)
Current occupants bought the farm and started farming at BRÚARLAND II (Bridge Land II) in 2012.
In 1945, Jónas Aðalsteinsson from the farm HVAMMUR (Hollow) and his wife Anna G. Jóhannesdóttir from the farm GUNNARSSTAÐIR (Gunnar´s Place) built the new farm BRÚARLAND on a 7/24 part of land of GUNNARSSTAÐIR. The residence house and outhouses are situated on the edge of a gravel bed, only a short distance from the bridge where the district highway road 85 crosses river HAFRALÓNSÁ (Buck Lagoon River). Alongside the river to the south of the farm buildings is a level field called EYJA (Island) which was previously utilized as a meadow but has today been cultivated into a fruitful hayfield. North of the island, a rivulet running along a small dell south of the buildings joins river HAFRALÓNSÁ (Buck Lagoon River) in an area called MERKIDALUR (Boundary Valley). The area south of the rivulet and west of the EYJA (Island) is called BÚÐARHÖFÐI (Camp Cape). East of river HAFRALÓNSÁ (Buck Lagoon River) and opposite to the farm is an islet called DÓMSNESHÓLMI (Sentence Peninsula Islet) and many believe that cape BÚÐARHÖFÐI (Camp Cape) was previously named DÓMSNES (Sentence Peninsula). Place names like BÚÐARHÖFÐI (Camp Cape) and BÚÐARHÓLMI (Camp Islet) indicate that camps were situated in this area in earlier times. This is supported by traces of ruins found close to the cape where the river keeps digging further into the riverbank. The cape and the islet previously belonged to the farm HVAMMUR (Hollow) but were handed over to the farm GUNNARSSTAÐIR (Gunnar´s Place) around 1930, in return for the deserted farm HÁVARÐSSTAÐIR (Havardur´s Place) that is situated in the heathland of HVAMMSHEIÐI (Hollow´s Heathland).
Dry heatlands are found north of the farm buildings and interchanging heatlands and marshes to the west. Perquisites belonging to the farm include fishing rights in river HAFRALÓNSÁ (Buck Lagoon River). The State Electric Power Works built a substation on the land of the farm on cape BÚÐARHÖFÐI (Camp Cape) in 1982.
Here are photos of the farm and from the family who lives there.